Project Pre-Production | Research - Our Voices Are Rarely Heard - Short Documentary

While watching this documentary I instantly felt pain. I recently started watching a lot of short documentaries on Vimeo, they are addicting. I am coming across thousands of amazing film work. I find things that I love and things I hate, but I've realised that I'm watching documentaries that I'd never though I would watch. I feel like these documentaries on Vimeo are more my style in comparison to the ones on the big screens. This platform is so accessible and you can experiment on it. There is a lot of talent out around Vimeo and I am really starting to like the documentary area.

I watched this documentary recently that is completely something I would never watch 'Our Voices Are Rarely Heard' the title is inspired by a quote within the documentary. The entire style and tone of this documentary is powerful. The pacing gradually build and the shooting style is very slow and cinematic. This is a documentary about inmates who stay locked up in their cells for 22 hours a day, it is hear breaking. I really like the power of voice overs in this project, it is very powerful. While we are watching these lovely filmed shots or completely unrelated items and locations we focus on the voice behind the screen. The inmate is describing how they feel, that they would rather be put on the death penalty then be stuck inside a cell for 22 hours a day. Although we don't see the inmate or the cells, we see the atmosphere - this Is what the inmate is missing and as the audience you can feel their pain.

The slow motion adds onto the tension throughout the documentary. While the inmates are talking about nature we see trees, forests, bugs etc. This is done especially so the audience understand what the inmate means exactly. It's not the most powerful documentary I've watched but it leaves an impact on you, I felt the pain those people are feeling - the music really inflicted that feeling. In comparison to the idea I have for my own documentary I think the overall story will be very heavy and personal. From any past experience you tend to get all the details and a lot of talking and explaining from when you interview someone - I would also be adding silence to create that dramatic feeling for the audience, I want them to take a moment to take in what was just said.

  
Our Voices Are Rarely Heard - Short Doc from Cali Bondad on Vimeo.

Director/ Editor - Cali Bondad
Reporter/ Producer - Gabrielle Canon
Director of Photography - Spenser Nottage
Executive Producer - Thorsten Hoppenworth
Sound Recordist - Kent Romney
Music Tracks - APM Music
Sound Mix - One Union
Colorgrade - Spy Post

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiction Adaptation - Trespass - John Clare research

As Live Production - VT Reasearch 'Fashion Fails'

As Live Production - First look into Studio Production (workshop)